Saturday, January 1, 2011

Word for 2011

My wonderful mentor, Claudia Mills, comes up with the most delightful ideas. For example, as she talks about in her blog, she chooses a word each year that will be her word the year. This year she has chosen the word "grope". Today, the first day of 2011, I decided to pick a word, too, and the word I chose is "celebrate." It's fitting because less than an hour ago Claudia sent me an email, and after reviewing my most recent revisions to my tween novel, SEASHELL SECRETS, she proclaimed it DONE! And that is certainly something to celebrate! I wrote a blog a while back talking about how important I believe it is not only to celebrate the big things (like contest wins and your first book offer), but also the small accomplishments along the way (settling on a topic for your next book, completing the first chapter, the first draft...sending it out). This is true not just in writing, but in daily life. We certainly scold ourselves for mistakes made, but all too often, we forget to pat ourselves on the back for jobs well done. I will be taking Claudia out to dinner one evening soon so we can both celebrate, and I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

cmills said...

I love "celebrate" as your word of the year - brilliant choice! But I do have to give credit to amazing poet Molly Fisk for coming up with the choose-a-word-for-your-year idea. I just cheerfully stole it. So go celebrate, dear Ceil.