Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas - Then and Now

Christmas brings such mixed feelings anymore. I miss the days when I was young and with my family at my parent's house with few concerns beyond what's in that big present. Since my parents died, my two brothers and my sister and I have gone different directions and it's hard to get us all together. This year, my eldest brother's family were all in town, and I had them over for dinner which was wonderful. He has two lovely daughters, both married, one with a darling daughter of her own. The spirit of Christmas shone bright in the eyes of this little 2-1/2 year old. I gave her some froggy pajamas, and as soon as she pulled them out of the box, she stripped off her cute Christmas dress and wore the pajamas the rest of the night. I think we all wished we could do the same. I loved being with my brother and wished with all my heart that my other brother and my sister had been there, too. If only I'd known as a child to cherish those days when being together was the norm. But I guess you have to grow up to appreciate what you once had. Still, there's a lesson here that I realize I need to pay attention to: I need to cherish parts of my adult life now that may be lost to me sometime in the future.

1 comment:

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

Living in the now is the greatest thing. We can't have the past back, but we do too much to complain about the present or to work only towards future, and we often aren't paying attention to what's happening now.

Your post makes me want to go out and find some froggy pajamas of my own!