Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Historical Fiction - Telling it Like it is

During my celebration dinner with author Claudia Mills the other night, we had a discussion about a topic that's been on my mind since I began writing my tween novel, SEASHELL SECRETS, which is set in the early 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement. The issue is this: In order to tell a story involving the plight of black citizens during that time, and tell it honestly, you risk using language and writing scenes that were, and are, offensive. I was so moved by Kathryn Stockett's book, THE HELP. In it, Ms. Stockett bluntly describes the treatment (or mistreatment) of black maids in ways that sometimes brought me to tears. She could have softened the account to minimize the risk of offending readers, but she didn't. The recent controversy over Mark Twain's use of the "N" word begs the question about "accuracy" versus "non-offensive," understandably a difficult discussion. A related issue is whether it does more harm than good to write a book that brings back difficult, less honorable, times in our history after we've made significant strides to improve upon those times. After much thought and discussion, I believe historical fiction is one way to remind us of our past, offensive though it might be, and force us to recognize telltale signs that such despicable prejudices might resurface if we're not careful. There are constant reminders in the news that, as a nation, we have not conquered this problem. I asked a delightful black woman named Dorothy to read my manuscript before I began submitting it to agents. I told her I wanted the story to be accurate but not offensive. Dorothy looked at me and said, "If it's accurate, it will be offensive," and I realized then, that nothing would be more offensive than to downplay the struggle of the black population as they strove for equal rights and proper respect in our country.

2 comments:

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

I agree, agree, agree.

Huckleberry Finn will not do what it needs to do, not show what Twain intended it to show, if its words are changed.

For years we glossed over Columbus, even creating a holiday for him. But what he actually did was horrendous, and only in the last decade or so has children's lit. begun to reflect the truth of his voyage to the West Indies.

Truth needs to reign.

Pam Mingle said...

This is an excellent post, Ceil. The particular period of history you're portraying is an especially sensitive time to depict, and there's probably no ONE right way to handle it. Your friend Dorothy's remark is telling.