Sunday, December 5, 2010

A toast to success and critique groups

I attended my second meeting with my new critique group yesterday. This one was extra special because we celebrated a good friend's first book offer! Pam Mingle's beautifully written YA time travel book titled KISSING SHAKESPEARE will be published by Delacorte in 2012. In it, a young girl suddenly finds herself living in the past with a daunting mission: she must seduce William Shakespeare. Otherwise, all of his plays will go unwritten. The book weaves an intriguing romance with mystery, and is filled with wonderful descriptions of the period. I highly recommend it when it comes out.


After we toasted Pam, we reviewed a beautiful short story by Laura Deal. The overwhelming recommendation was that it was so well written and the story so captivating, we all wished it was a full-length novel. Amid the praise were thought-provoking recommendations for changes that must have left Laura a bit dazed which is often the case when you're the one in the "hot seat." Again, I was struck by the talent of these writers, while at the same time a bit intimidated knowing that I will soon be the one in the "hot seat." I came away wondering how anyone writes a truly great novel without input from fellow writers. So...here's to Pam and to my new critique group.

No comments: