Friday, April 6, 2007

Sometimes I wonder where my head is. After hearing a great presentation from an editor at the SCBWI spring conference, and reading her submission guidelines which clearly state that a conference participant should indicate on the front of the envelope that she attended the conference in order to steer her manuscript away from the slush pile, I sent my submission without that notation. I agonized over what to do, then decided to resend it with an explanation and my apologies. I figure she'll think I'm either persistant, high-maintenance, or totally losing it -- two of which apply (I'm really not high maintenance.).

I've been immersed in revisions which is, in my opinion, the hardest part of writing. The presentations by Todd Mitchell and Laura Resau at the spring conference were timely and excellent. As one of our esteemed RA's said, sometimes you hear the same thing again and again, but until you're actually at that stage in your own writing, it doesn't resonate. (Thanks, Becky). That's one reason it's important to keep going to workshops, conferences, presentations, anything to move your work along. Now, back to revisions.

1 comment:

Olgy Gary said...

Great blog to read, Ceil, and I would have done the same thing you did...I would have resent my manuscript! :-)