Friday, October 29, 2010

New Critique Group

I attended my first meeting with my new critique group yesterday. What an incredible group of writers! I've known some of them through workshops and conferences, and already knew the talent in this group was extraordinary. We meet once a month for four hours. The members take turns hosting the meeting, and it's a lovely atmosphere with snacks provided. Yesterday we reviewed a short chapter (possibly middle grade) book. The comments and suggestions offered were direct and insightful, not just to the author of the work, but to me, and I suspect to everyone in attendance. New members must wait three months before submitting their own work for review. The review itself can be grueling, but what an incredible opportunity to learn and improve my work. I was in a critique group prior to this, also wonderful writers, but the group began to dwindle and I was delighted to be invited to join my new group. About half of them are published. All of them are incredibly talented. They'll definitely keep me on my toes!

1 comment:

Pam Mingle said...

Thank you, Ceil! You fit seamlessly into our group. It seems as though you've always been part of it.