Monday, March 22, 2010

Childrens Books as Gifrs

I went to my granddaughter's 8th birthday party yesterday. What fun! I gave her a United States of America game, and 3 books. I loved seeing the smile on her face as she thumbed through the books. One was extra special. It's called PERFECTLY CHELSEA and was written by my mentee, Claudia Mills. I had told my granddaughter about my participation in the RMC-SCBWI Mentor program and about Claudia, and she was thrilled when she saw the special note to her inside the book, signed by Claudia herself! It's so fun to see a child become interested in books. Suddenly, a million worlds are opened up for her. I remember the thrill of reading a book you don't want to put down, can hardly wait to get back to, and feel a sense of loss when you come to the end. But then...you find another one, and the cycle starts all over again. A writer can provide so much joy to a child. What a great way to spend your life!

No comments: